It’s time for another solo episode and today I am talking about a hot topic I get questions about ALL the time. This is something I know people are thinking about (especially as we enter into the summer months), and that is the metabolism!
Many people think they have an understanding of how their metabolism works, but I have my doubts that the majority of people really know what it does for their body. So in today’s episode, we are going to talk about what your metabolism is and what it isn’t, how you could be killing your own metabolism with various diet fads, and how you can start to support your metabolism to serve you better.
It’s an honor to provide resources like this for you! Thank you for listening!
- My free gift to you!
- Dieting, Hormones, & Fitness With Kylie Larson – Episode 28
- Email me with questions!
- Think Dirty App
- EWG App
- Documentary: The Business of Birth Control
- The Wholly Well Academy
- FREE: 5 Weeks of Meal Plans
Things to Remember
1) Myth: Your metabolism slows down with age and you have no control over it. The truth is that our metabolism is driven by our personal nutrition and lifestyle choices. The quality of what we put in our bodies and what we do to it matters! Everything from the food we eat, our age, gender, muscle-to-fat ratio, physical activity, and hormone function can all affect our metabolic rate.
2) Your metabolism’s primary function isn’t to lose weight. Our metabolisms have become so closely tied to diet culture that we tend to only think about it in terms of losing weight. The reality is that our metabolisms do a whole lot more for us than just helping us burn fat. Your liver, adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, and others are all major organ systems that are influenced by your metabolism. So if you are having an issue with your metabolism, you may want to take a closer look at the signals these organ systems are sending out.
3) 90% of your metabolic energy is influenced by your liver. Your liver manufactures carnitine, which takes fat and escorts it to the mitochondria — your body’s little fat furnaces — in your cells, which influence 90% of your metabolic energy. The faster and more efficiently you produce carnitine in your liver, the faster and more efficient your metabolism is. If you want to improve your metabolism, the liver is a great place to start!
4) Your thoughts have power. Your body has been wired to interpret a situation as safe or unsafe. It can’t often tell the difference between a stressful situation and a real life-or-death situation. So even if you are not in danger, your body may interpret it as such, panic, and stop burning fat and start storing it.
I really hope you loved today’s episode. If it was helpful to you, would you send it to a friend? I’ll see you back here soon!
Are you ready to crush your fatigue, banish insomnia and get your life back without the crippling fatigue and lack of sleep? If you’re sick of being tired all day and wired at night, I have exciting news! I’m opening my signature private 1:1 consulting to help you identify the root cause of your symptoms. If you’re experiencing life altering fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, brain fog, panic attacks, and more and you’re ready to experience next-level energy, sleep and mood, reclaim your life and health by applying to work with me here: https://www.thewhollywellacademy.com/coaching